Home Pakistan Peshawar High Court orders immediate reopening of roads

Peshawar High Court orders immediate reopening of roads

5 min read

The Peshawar High Court on Tuesday expressed strong displeasure over road blockades caused by a protest of the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) and ordered authorities to initiate immediate action and ensure that all roads are reopened forthwith.

The hearing was conducted by Justice Ejaz Anwar and Justice Farah Jamshed on a petition filed against the closure of roads due to the PTI protest. The Chief Secretary Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Inspector General of Police Khyber Pakhtunkhwa appeared before the court.

During the proceedings, the Advocate General informed the bench that parliamentarians had gone to Islamabad to ensure implementation of a Supreme Court order. The court observed that Islamabad was not within its domain and directed that action be initiated against those staging the protest.

Inspector General Zulfiqar Hameed requested the court to grant two days’ time. The bench, however, ordered that action be initiated from today, remarking that it was unfortunate that the ruling party was causing hardship to its own people.

Counsel for the petitioner informed the court that two persons had died on the way due to the road closures. The court remarked that the deceased might not be important for those responsible, adding that the motorway must not be blocked under any circumstances and that protests should not be allowed anywhere in Peshawar. “Our children cannot step out of their homes due to road blockades,” the bench observed.

The court asked the IGP how many days the roads had remained closed. The IGP replied that initially protests were held at 16 points, which had been reduced to 10. The bench questioned whether blocking roads did not constitute a violation of law.

The IGP stated that the matter fell under the jurisdiction of motorway police and action was taken when a reference was sent. The court observed that no one could leave Peshawar and referred to worsening law and order incidents in the province, asking how many people had been proceeded against so far.

The IGP maintained that until a reference was received from motorway police, action could not be taken.

Justice Ejaz Anwar remarked that when one road was blocked, the entire city faced gridlock, noting that traffic personnel were absent at several locations. The IGP said the Safe City project was in its final stages, to which the court responded that there was no effective traffic system across the province.

Addressing the Chief Secretary, the court asked what action had been taken so far, observing that in other cases individuals were sent to jail under 3 MPO when action was required. It noted that people across Khyber Pakhtunkhwa were facing hardship amid rising incidents of unrest and termed it unfortunate that the ruling party was troubling its own citizens.

The high court directed that all roads be reopened immediately and a report be submitted on the following day.

Later, speaking to media, IGP Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Police Zulfiqar Hameed said the court had ordered reopening of the roads and that the directions would be implemented. He added that action would be taken in accordance with the law against those responsible for blocking roads, stating that while law and order remained a challenge, police were striving to address it.

Author

Load More Related Articles
Load More By Editor in Chief
Load More In Pakistan

Leave a Reply

Check Also

China breaks world record with 22,580 synced drones

A Chinese drone light show has set a new Guinness World Record for the greatest number of …